Roasted Pineapple Shortcakes
Shortcake isn't just for strawberries. Roasted pineapple and macadamia nuts give this version a Hawaiian twist and perfume the kitchen with a tropical fragrance. Leftover shortcakes freeze well and the pineapple is also great on its own.
Roasted Pineapple Shortcakes
- 1 cup Vanilla Cream, (recipe follows) or “lite” frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or equivalent buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Roasted Pineapple Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted chopped macadamia nuts, or unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bite-size triangles
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Vanilla Cream, if using.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To prepare shortcakes: Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dough just comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gather together and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Roll to a 1/2-inch thickness and cut out rounds with a 3 1/4-inch cookie cutter (see Equipment Tip). Reroll scraps and cut to make 12 shortcakes total. Place the shortcakes on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake the shortcakes until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare filling: Spread nuts (or coconut) in a small baking pan and toast in the oven until light golden, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine pineapple, pineapple juice, honey, ginger and cloves in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Roast at 450° until the pineapple is lightly browned around the edges and the juices are syrupy, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- To serve: Split the shortcakes with a serrated knife and place the bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with the pineapple, nuts (or coconut) and a dollop of Vanilla Cream (or whipped topping) and replace the tops. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the shortcakes (Steps 2-5) in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.
- If you don't have a 3 1/4-inch cookie cutter, you can use a clean 6-ounce can, such as a tuna or salmon can.
- To peel a pineapple:
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the skin. To remove eyes, following the spiral pattern, cut grooves along the diagonal on either side of the eyes.
Per serving: 249 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat (saturated)
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation