Roasted Pears with Brie & Pistachios
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Roasted pears with Brie and pistachios is delicious as a first course or a side with roast pork or lamb. Leave the stems on for the prettiest presentation.
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe pears, preferably Bosc
- 2 ounces Brie cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 teaspoons chopped pistachios, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk mustard, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut pears in half lengthwise, hollow out the core and slice a small piece off the other side so they will lie flat when served. Brush all over with the mustard glaze and place cored-side down in the prepared pan.
- Bake the pears for 30 minutes, basting halfway through with the glaze. Gently turn them over, baste again and place a piece of Brie in the hollow of each pear. Bake until the pears are tender and the Brie is slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle each pear half with 1 teaspoon pistachios.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast seeds and chopped, small or sliced nuts (pages 30, 40, 63), cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 160 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011