Roasted Parsnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
The earthy flavor of parsnips goes especially well with fragrant pears, but carrots or even rutabaga work nicely in this soup as well. Serve it as a first course or as a light main dish with a crusty whole-grain bread.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and woody core removed (see Tip)
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 small yellow or white onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Toss parsnips, pears, onion, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until very soft and starting to brown, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil vinegar in a small saucepan until syrupy and reduced to about 1/4 cup, 10 to 14 minutes. (Watch the syrup carefully during the last few minutes of reducing to prevent burning.) Remove from the heat.
- Puree half of the parsnip mixture with broth in a blender until very smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the other half with milk until very smooth. Add to the saucepan and stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reheat the soup over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Gently reheat the balsamic syrup if it has become thicker than syrup while standing. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the balsamic syrup.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Remove the fibrous, woody core of parsnips before using: quarter parsnip lengthwise and cut out the core with a paring knife.
Per serving: 250 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008