Roasted Parsnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
The earthy flavor of parsnips goes especially well with fragrant pears, but carrots or even rutabaga work nicely in this soup as well. Serve it as a first course or as a light main dish with a crusty whole-grain bread.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and woody core removed (see Tip)
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 small yellow or white onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Toss parsnips, pears, onion, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until very soft and starting to brown, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil vinegar in a small saucepan until syrupy and reduced to about 1/4 cup, 10 to 14 minutes. (Watch the syrup carefully during the last few minutes of reducing to prevent burning.) Remove from the heat.
- Puree half of the parsnip mixture with broth in a blender until very smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the other half with milk until very smooth. Add to the saucepan and stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reheat the soup over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Gently reheat the balsamic syrup if it has become thicker than syrup while standing. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the balsamic syrup.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Remove the fibrous, woody core of parsnips before using: quarter parsnip lengthwise and cut out the core with a paring knife.
Per serving: 250 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008