Roasted Parsnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
The earthy flavor of parsnips goes especially well with fragrant pears, but carrots or even rutabaga work nicely in this soup as well. Serve it as a first course or as a light main dish with a crusty whole-grain bread.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and woody core removed (see Tip)
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 small yellow or white onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Toss parsnips, pears, onion, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until very soft and starting to brown, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil vinegar in a small saucepan until syrupy and reduced to about 1/4 cup, 10 to 14 minutes. (Watch the syrup carefully during the last few minutes of reducing to prevent burning.) Remove from the heat.
- Puree half of the parsnip mixture with broth in a blender until very smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the other half with milk until very smooth. Add to the saucepan and stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reheat the soup over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Gently reheat the balsamic syrup if it has become thicker than syrup while standing. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the balsamic syrup.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Remove the fibrous, woody core of parsnips before using: quarter parsnip lengthwise and cut out the core with a paring knife.
Per serving: 250 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008