Roasted Onion Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Sweet caramelized onions, bolstered by roasted shallots and garlic, combine in a luscious, but not overpowering soup.
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in 1 cup of the broth; stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- September/October 1993