Roasted Onion Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Sweet caramelized onions, bolstered by roasted shallots and garlic, combine in a luscious, but not overpowering soup.
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in 1 cup of the broth; stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 1993