Roasted Onion Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Sweet caramelized onions, bolstered by roasted shallots and garlic, combine in a luscious, but not overpowering soup.
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in 1 cup of the broth; stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- September/October 1993