Roasted Onion Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Sweet caramelized onions, bolstered by roasted shallots and garlic, combine in a luscious, but not overpowering soup.
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in 1 cup of the broth; stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993