Roasted Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with sherry-infused roasted mushrooms and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss mushrooms and shallots with oil, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast until brown and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sherry. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms or spoon them over the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 228 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013