Roasted Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with sherry-infused roasted mushrooms and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss mushrooms and shallots with oil, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast until brown and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sherry. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms or spoon them over the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 228 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013