Roasted Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with sherry-infused roasted mushrooms and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss mushrooms and shallots with oil, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast until brown and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sherry. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms or spoon them over the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 228 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013