Roasted Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with sherry-infused roasted mushrooms and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss mushrooms and shallots with oil, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast until brown and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sherry. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms or spoon them over the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 228 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013