Roasted Mango Sorbet
Switching from ice cream to sorbet is an excellent way to reduce saturated fat. This recipe, contributed by Diana Dalsass of Teaneck, New Jersey, has an exceptionally creamy texture, thanks to the banana and roasted mango.
- 3 ripe mangoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coarsely mashed banana, (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place whole mangoes in a shallow baking pan and roast until very soft, 70 to 90 minutes. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- When the mangoes are cool enough to handle, remove skin and coarsely chop pulp, discarding pit. Place the mango pulp and accumulated juices in a food processor. Add banana and lime juice; process until very smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the sugar syrup. Cover and refrigerate until cold, 40 minutes or overnight.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.) Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. Let soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving. | Equipment: Ice cream maker or food processor
Per serving: 108 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 159 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more