Roasted Halibut with Pickled Beets (Stegte Helleflynder med Rødbeder)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Here delicate white fish is topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and diced pickled beets for a simple Danish dish that combines sweet, salty and sour flavors.
- 2 slices slightly stale whole-wheat or rye bread
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 2 pounds Pacific halibut, or other firm-fleshed fish (see Ingredient Note), cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-ounce jar sliced pickled beets, drained and diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To make breadcrumbs, grate bread through the large holes of a box grater; place the crumbs in a small bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons oil.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in lemon juice and bring to a boil, stirring gently; remove from the heat and add butter. Swirl the pan, letting the butter melt and slightly thicken the sauce. Stir in capers.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and place in the prepared baking dish. Pour the pan sauce over the fish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake the fish until it is opaque in the center, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve each portion topped with about 3 tablespoons pickled beets.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the breadcrumbs (Step 2) up to 2 days ahead; store at room temperature in a plastic bag.
- Ingredient Note: Just about any fish will take to this treatment beautifully. If using halibut, ask for wild-caught fish from the Pacific; it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population, according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).
Per serving: 207 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 221 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value), Magnesium (27% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2008