Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and tangy buttermilk. Try them alongside grilled steak or chicken.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub off excess papery skin from garlic heads without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off the heads, exposing the cloves. Place the heads on a piece of foil, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each head and wrap into a package. Roast until the garlic feels very soft, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Add buttermilk and pepper and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 193 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013