Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and tangy buttermilk. Try them alongside grilled steak or chicken.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub off excess papery skin from garlic heads without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off the heads, exposing the cloves. Place the heads on a piece of foil, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each head and wrap into a package. Roast until the garlic feels very soft, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Add buttermilk and pepper and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 193 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013