Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and tangy buttermilk. Try them alongside grilled steak or chicken.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub off excess papery skin from garlic heads without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off the heads, exposing the cloves. Place the heads on a piece of foil, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each head and wrap into a package. Roast until the garlic feels very soft, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Add buttermilk and pepper and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 193 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013