Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and tangy buttermilk. Try them alongside grilled steak or chicken.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub off excess papery skin from garlic heads without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off the heads, exposing the cloves. Place the heads on a piece of foil, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each head and wrap into a package. Roast until the garlic feels very soft, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Add buttermilk and pepper and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 193 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 2013