Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and tangy buttermilk. Try them alongside grilled steak or chicken.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub off excess papery skin from garlic heads without separating the cloves. Slice the tips off the heads, exposing the cloves. Place the heads on a piece of foil, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each head and wrap into a package. Roast until the garlic feels very soft, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Add buttermilk and pepper and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 193 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013