Roasted Garlic Hummus
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This garlicky hummus is the perfect dip for pita crisps. To make the crisps, simply bake triangles of pita bread in a hot oven until they are golden, about 8 minutes.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus a sprig for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove the loose papery outside skin from the garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice off the top 1/2 inch. Wrap in a small square of foil and roast until the garlic is very soft, about 40 minutes. Unwrap and cool slightly. Separate the cloves and peel.
- Puree the garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini and water in a food processor. Add more or less water as necessary to make a fairly firm dip.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl, stir in parsley and season with salt. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkling of paprika.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 74 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993