Roasted Garlic Hummus
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This garlicky hummus is the perfect dip for pita crisps. To make the crisps, simply bake triangles of pita bread in a hot oven until they are golden, about 8 minutes.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus a sprig for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove the loose papery outside skin from the garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice off the top 1/2 inch. Wrap in a small square of foil and roast until the garlic is very soft, about 40 minutes. Unwrap and cool slightly. Separate the cloves and peel.
- Puree the garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini and water in a food processor. Add more or less water as necessary to make a fairly firm dip.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl, stir in parsley and season with salt. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkling of paprika.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 74 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993