Roasted Garlic Hummus
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This garlicky hummus is the perfect dip for pita crisps. To make the crisps, simply bake triangles of pita bread in a hot oven until they are golden, about 8 minutes.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus a sprig for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove the loose papery outside skin from the garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice off the top 1/2 inch. Wrap in a small square of foil and roast until the garlic is very soft, about 40 minutes. Unwrap and cool slightly. Separate the cloves and peel.
- Puree the garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini and water in a food processor. Add more or less water as necessary to make a fairly firm dip.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl, stir in parsley and season with salt. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkling of paprika.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 74 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- November/December 1993