Roasted Garlic Bagna Caulda
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The name of this traditional sauce from the Piedmont region of Italy means literally "warm bath." Serve warm with plenty of fresh vegetables and bread for dipping.
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-ounce can anchovies, rinsed
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves out of their skins into a small bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Combine garlic, oil and anchovies in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring often, until the garlic and anchovies have broken down completely, about 15 minutes. Stir in crushed red pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate tightly covered for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place each head of garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the packages directly on the oven rack and roast until cloves are soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 112 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)