Roasted Garlic Bagna Caulda
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
The name of this traditional sauce from the Piedmont region of Italy means literally "warm bath." Serve warm with plenty of fresh vegetables and bread for dipping.
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-ounce can anchovies, rinsed
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves out of their skins into a small bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Combine garlic, oil and anchovies in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring often, until the garlic and anchovies have broken down completely, about 15 minutes. Stir in crushed red pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate tightly covered for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place each head of garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the packages directly on the oven rack and roast until cloves are soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 112 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)