Roasted Fennel & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Look for farro (and/or wheat berries—whole, unprocessed grains of wheat that can be used in place of farro in this salad) in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (138% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010