Roasted Fennel & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Look for farro (and/or wheat berries—whole, unprocessed grains of wheat that can be used in place of farro in this salad) in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (138% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010