Roasted Fennel & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Look for farro (and/or wheat berries—whole, unprocessed grains of wheat that can be used in place of farro in this salad) in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
- Give grains a cooldown: To cool grains down quickly, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. The surface area helps speed cooling, while the foil prevents any residual flavors on the pan from seeping in.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (138% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010