Roasted Fennel & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Look for farro (and/or wheat berries—whole, unprocessed grains of wheat that can be used in place of farro in this salad) in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
- Give grains a cooldown: To cool grains down quickly, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. The surface area helps speed cooling, while the foil prevents any residual flavors on the pan from seeping in.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (138% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010