Roasted Eggplant & Feta Dip
This roasted eggplant and feta dip gets a kick from a fresh chile pepper and cayenne pepper. There are countless variations on this classic meze (appetizer) in Greece. Out-of-season eggplant or eggplant that has been heavily watered often has an abundance of seeds, which make the vegetable bitter. Be sure to taste the dip before you serve it; if it's a touch bitter, you can remedy that with a little sugar. Serve with toasted pita crisps or as a sandwich spread.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, such as jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Position oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler.
- Line a baking pan with foil. Place eggplant in the pan and poke a few holes all over it to vent steam. Broil the eggplant, turning with tongs every 5 minutes, until the skin is charred and a knife inserted into the dense flesh near the stem goes in easily, 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle.
- Put lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scrape the flesh into the bowl, tossing with the lemon juice to help prevent discoloring. Add oil and stir with a fork until the oil is absorbed. (It should be a little chunky.) Stir in feta, onion, bell pepper, chile pepper (if using), basil, parsley, cayenne and salt. Taste and add sugar if needed.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 75 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 129 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more