Roasted Eggplant & Feta Dip
This roasted eggplant and feta dip gets a kick from a fresh chile pepper and cayenne pepper. There are countless variations on this classic meze (appetizer) in Greece. Out-of-season eggplant or eggplant that has been heavily watered often has an abundance of seeds, which make the vegetable bitter. Be sure to taste the dip before you serve it; if it's a touch bitter, you can remedy that with a little sugar. Serve with toasted pita crisps or as a sandwich spread.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, such as jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Position oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler.
- Line a baking pan with foil. Place eggplant in the pan and poke a few holes all over it to vent steam. Broil the eggplant, turning with tongs every 5 minutes, until the skin is charred and a knife inserted into the dense flesh near the stem goes in easily, 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle.
- Put lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scrape the flesh into the bowl, tossing with the lemon juice to help prevent discoloring. Add oil and stir with a fork until the oil is absorbed. (It should be a little chunky.) Stir in feta, onion, bell pepper, chile pepper (if using), basil, parsley, cayenne and salt. Taste and add sugar if needed.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 75 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 129 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more