Roasted Corn & Shiitake Mushrooms
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Roasting brings out the sweetness of the corn and browns the shiitake mushrooms. Rice wine and soy sauce balance the flavors. Try it with grilled pork tenderloin.
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 large ears; see Tip) or frozen
- 3 tablespoons Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) or dry sherry (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 scallions, minced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Stir corn and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the mushrooms; spread the mixture in an even layer. Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast for 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine Shao Hsing (or sherry), soy sauce and scallions in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the vegetables and stir to combine. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Note: Shao Hsing, or Shaoxing, is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and in the Asian section of some larger supermarkets. Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 187 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 290 mg sodium; 495 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010