Roasted Corn & Shiitake Mushrooms
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Roasting brings out the sweetness of the corn and browns the shiitake mushrooms. Rice wine and soy sauce balance the flavors. Try it with grilled pork tenderloin.
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 large ears; see Tip) or frozen
- 3 tablespoons Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) or dry sherry (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 scallions, minced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Stir corn and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the mushrooms; spread the mixture in an even layer. Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast for 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine Shao Hsing (or sherry), soy sauce and scallions in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the vegetables and stir to combine. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Note: Shao Hsing, or Shaoxing, is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and in the Asian section of some larger supermarkets. Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 187 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 290 mg sodium; 495 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010