Roasted Corn Cheese Dip
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Inspired by queso fundido—melted Mexican cheese dip—this corn and warm Cheddar cheese dip is great with toasted baguette.
- 3 cups corn kernels (see Tip)
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a medium (10-inch) cast-iron skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. (Corn kernels may “pop” as they brown.) Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar and cream cheese. Transfer to the oven.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese dip with cayenne (or chili powder) and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Remove Corn Kernels: Stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” and get more flavor for sauces, soups or puddings, add another step to the process: After cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. Yield: You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 155 calories; 11 g fat (7 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012