Roasted Chicken Tenders with Peppers & Onions
Call this one an update of that favorite combo, sausage and peppers. Our healthy version can be served over rice or on a roll with a little shredded cheese for a new take on a Philly cheese steak sandwich.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, jalapenos, oil and salt in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Add tenders, bell pepper and onion; toss to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly; cover with foil. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 25 to 30 minutes.
Per serving: 172 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean meats, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation