Roasted Chicken Salad with Garlic Toasts
Rotisserie chickens have become all the rage in our local supermarkets—and why not? They can be the base of a quick, almost-homemade dinner in no time. Here, roasted chicken turns into an easy salad with some crusty garlic bread on the side.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 1/2-inch slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, (hot or cold), skin discarded, sliced into large pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Mince one garlic clove and whisk with vinegar, oil and olives in a medium bowl. Toss greens in the dressing to coat well.
- Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Divide the salad among 4 plates, place chicken on top and serve with the bread.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Store-bought rotisserie chicken is convenient and practical—but much higher in sodium than a home-roasted bird. Even the unseasoned varieties have been marinated or seasoned with salty flavorings. People with hypertension should think twice before choosing store-bought.
- 4 ounces home-roasted chicken: 100 mg sodium
- 4 ounces rotisserie chicken: 350-450 mg sodium
Per serving: 404 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient