Roasted Chicken Salad with Garlic Toasts
Rotisserie chickens have become all the rage in our local supermarkets—and why not? They can be the base of a quick, almost-homemade dinner in no time. Here, roasted chicken turns into an easy salad with some crusty garlic bread on the side.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 1/2-inch slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, (hot or cold), skin discarded, sliced into large pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Mince one garlic clove and whisk with vinegar, oil and olives in a medium bowl. Toss greens in the dressing to coat well.
- Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Divide the salad among 4 plates, place chicken on top and serve with the bread.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Store-bought rotisserie chicken is convenient and practical—but much higher in sodium than a home-roasted bird. Even the unseasoned varieties have been marinated or seasoned with salty flavorings. People with hypertension should think twice before choosing store-bought.
- 4 ounces home-roasted chicken: 100 mg sodium
- 4 ounces rotisserie chicken: 350-450 mg sodium
Per serving: 404 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient