Roasted Chicken Salad with Garlic Toasts
Rotisserie chickens have become all the rage in our local supermarkets—and why not? They can be the base of a quick, almost-homemade dinner in no time. Here, roasted chicken turns into an easy salad with some crusty garlic bread on the side.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 1/2-inch slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, (hot or cold), skin discarded, sliced into large pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Mince one garlic clove and whisk with vinegar, oil and olives in a medium bowl. Toss greens in the dressing to coat well.
- Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Divide the salad among 4 plates, place chicken on top and serve with the bread.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Store-bought rotisserie chicken is convenient and practical—but much higher in sodium than a home-roasted bird. Even the unseasoned varieties have been marinated or seasoned with salty flavorings. People with hypertension should think twice before choosing store-bought.
- 4 ounces home-roasted chicken: 100 mg sodium
- 4 ounces rotisserie chicken: 350-450 mg sodium
Per serving: 404 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient