Roasted Chicken Salad with Garlic Toasts
Rotisserie chickens have become all the rage in our local supermarkets—and why not? They can be the base of a quick, almost-homemade dinner in no time. Here, roasted chicken turns into an easy salad with some crusty garlic bread on the side.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 1/2-inch slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, (hot or cold), skin discarded, sliced into large pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Mince one garlic clove and whisk with vinegar, oil and olives in a medium bowl. Toss greens in the dressing to coat well.
- Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Divide the salad among 4 plates, place chicken on top and serve with the bread.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Store-bought rotisserie chicken is convenient and practical—but much higher in sodium than a home-roasted bird. Even the unseasoned varieties have been marinated or seasoned with salty flavorings. People with hypertension should think twice before choosing store-bought.
- 4 ounces home-roasted chicken: 100 mg sodium
- 4 ounces rotisserie chicken: 350-450 mg sodium
Per serving: 404 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient