Roasted Chicken Salad with Garlic Toasts
Rotisserie chickens have become all the rage in our local supermarkets—and why not? They can be the base of a quick, almost-homemade dinner in no time. Here, roasted chicken turns into an easy salad with some crusty garlic bread on the side.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 1/2-inch slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, (hot or cold), skin discarded, sliced into large pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Mince one garlic clove and whisk with vinegar, oil and olives in a medium bowl. Toss greens in the dressing to coat well.
- Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Divide the salad among 4 plates, place chicken on top and serve with the bread.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Store-bought rotisserie chicken is convenient and practical—but much higher in sodium than a home-roasted bird. Even the unseasoned varieties have been marinated or seasoned with salty flavorings. People with hypertension should think twice before choosing store-bought.
- 4 ounces home-roasted chicken: 100 mg sodium
- 4 ounces rotisserie chicken: 350-450 mg sodium
Per serving: 404 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient