Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Shallots
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
This easy side dish combines the natural sweetness of caramelized shallots with the earthiness of Brussels sprouts, a fall favorite.
- 24 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, preferably small
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel shallots, leaving the root ends intact so they'll hold together. Place on a large sheet of foil; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil over the top. Seal the packet and bake until the shallots are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and trim the stems. Cut the small sprouts in half and quarter the larger ones. Place the shallots and Brussels sprouts in a roasting pan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt.
- Increase oven temperature to 400° F. Roast, tossing twice during cooking, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 87 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 180 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- October/November 2005