Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Shallots
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
This easy side dish combines the natural sweetness of caramelized shallots with the earthiness of Brussels sprouts, a fall favorite.
- 24 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, preferably small
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel shallots, leaving the root ends intact so they'll hold together. Place on a large sheet of foil; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil over the top. Seal the packet and bake until the shallots are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and trim the stems. Cut the small sprouts in half and quarter the larger ones. Place the shallots and Brussels sprouts in a roasting pan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt.
- Increase oven temperature to 400° F. Roast, tossing twice during cooking, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 87 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 180 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- October/November 2005