Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Shallots
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
This easy side dish combines the natural sweetness of caramelized shallots with the earthiness of Brussels sprouts, a fall favorite.
- 24 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, preferably small
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel shallots, leaving the root ends intact so they'll hold together. Place on a large sheet of foil; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil over the top. Seal the packet and bake until the shallots are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and trim the stems. Cut the small sprouts in half and quarter the larger ones. Place the shallots and Brussels sprouts in a roasting pan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt.
- Increase oven temperature to 400° F. Roast, tossing twice during cooking, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 87 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 180 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- October/November 2005