Roasted Bananas with Chocolate Yogurt Cream
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Bananas with yogurt sounds like a simple breakfast combination, but dress the bananas up with a little butter, rum and sugar, run them under the broiler and you've got a decadent dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 4 bananas, cut in half crosswise then lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Line a sieve or colander with cheesecloth and set over a bowl, leaving at least 1/2 inch clearance from the bottom. Spoon in yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap and let drain in the refrigerator for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, position rack in top third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place bananas, cut sides up, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and rum (or lemon juice). Dot with butter. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler; broil until the bananas are golden and the sugar is bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream, cocoa and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, until soft peaks form. Push the cream to one side; add the drained yogurt and fold into the cream with a rubber spatula until blended. Drizzle the roasted bananas with any juices accumulated in the pan and serve with a dollop of the chocolate cream.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The yogurt can be drained overnight.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (10 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (21% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- February/March 2006