Roasted Bananas with Chocolate Yogurt Cream
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Bananas with yogurt sounds like a simple breakfast combination, but dress the bananas up with a little butter, rum and sugar, run them under the broiler and you've got a decadent dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 4 bananas, cut in half crosswise then lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Line a sieve or colander with cheesecloth and set over a bowl, leaving at least 1/2 inch clearance from the bottom. Spoon in yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap and let drain in the refrigerator for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, position rack in top third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place bananas, cut sides up, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and rum (or lemon juice). Dot with butter. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler; broil until the bananas are golden and the sugar is bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream, cocoa and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, until soft peaks form. Push the cream to one side; add the drained yogurt and fold into the cream with a rubber spatula until blended. Drizzle the roasted bananas with any juices accumulated in the pan and serve with a dollop of the chocolate cream.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The yogurt can be drained overnight.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (10 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (21% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- February/March 2006