Roasted Baby Bok Choy
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
A quick trip to a hot oven, combined with a drizzle of lemony dressing, brings bok choy to the table in no time at all.
- 4 heads baby bok choy, (1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, leaves separated
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon mirin, (see Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss bok choy, oil, garlic and salt in a roasting pan. Roast on lowest rack, stirring twice, until wilted and tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Whisk lemon zest and juice, tarragon, mirin and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the roasted bok choy.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mirin is a low-alcohol rice wine essential to Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients. An equal portion of sherry or white wine with a pinch of sugar may be substituted.
Per serving: 58 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006