Roasted Baby Bok Choy
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
A quick trip to a hot oven, combined with a drizzle of lemony dressing, brings bok choy to the table in no time at all.
- 4 heads baby bok choy, (1 1/4 pounds), trimmed, leaves separated
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon mirin, (see Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss bok choy, oil, garlic and salt in a roasting pan. Roast on lowest rack, stirring twice, until wilted and tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Whisk lemon zest and juice, tarragon, mirin and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the roasted bok choy.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mirin is a low-alcohol rice wine essential to Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients. An equal portion of sherry or white wine with a pinch of sugar may be substituted.
Per serving: 58 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006