Roasted Asparagus with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Roasted asparagus is delicious drizzled with a sauce inspired by Caesar salad dressing. Low-fat mayonnaise makes the sauce creamy without a lot of extra calories or fat. Dress up the dish with chopped hard-boiled eggs or leave them out if you're in a hurry.
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs, (optional; see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss asparagus with oil and salt in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, water, anchovies, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. To serve, drizzle the asparagus with the sauce and top with hard-boiled egg (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (73% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009