Roasted Asparagus with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Roasted asparagus is delicious drizzled with a sauce inspired by Caesar salad dressing. Low-fat mayonnaise makes the sauce creamy without a lot of extra calories or fat. Dress up the dish with chopped hard-boiled eggs or leave them out if you're in a hurry.
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs, (optional; see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss asparagus with oil and salt in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, water, anchovies, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. To serve, drizzle the asparagus with the sauce and top with hard-boiled egg (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (73% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- March/April 2009