Roasted Asparagus with Caper Dressing
Roasting mellows the grassy flavor of asparagus; the caper dressing provides a salty counterpoint. Serve with grilled fish or meat.
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus; place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until the asparagus begins to soften and brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, place shallot, parsley and capers on a cutting board and chop together to make a coarse mixture. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with vinegar, the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve the asparagus topped with the dressing.
Per serving: 112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique