Roasted Asparagus with Caper Dressing
Roasting mellows the grassy flavor of asparagus; the caper dressing provides a salty counterpoint. Serve with grilled fish or meat.
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus; place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until the asparagus begins to soften and brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, place shallot, parsley and capers on a cutting board and chop together to make a coarse mixture. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with vinegar, the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve the asparagus topped with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Per serving: 112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique