Roasted Asparagus with Caper Dressing
Roasting mellows the grassy flavor of asparagus; the caper dressing provides a salty counterpoint. Serve with grilled fish or meat.
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus; place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until the asparagus begins to soften and brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, place shallot, parsley and capers on a cutting board and chop together to make a coarse mixture. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with vinegar, the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve the asparagus topped with the dressing.
Per serving: 112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique