Roasted Apple & Cheddar Salad
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
Roasted apples and Cheddar cheese turn an ordinary mixed green salad into something extra-special. You can use pears for this recipe as well.
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Roasted Apples & Salad
- 2 apples, preferably Fuji, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
- 3 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 3 cups torn curly endive
- 2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare dressing: Whisk vinegar, apple juice, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To roast apples and prepare salad: Toss apples with 2 teaspoons oil and thyme in a medium bowl; spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard fresh thyme, if using. Let cool.
- While the apples are roasting, toast walnuts in a small baking pan until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Just before serving, combine spinach, lettuce and endive in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Divide the greens among 6 plates, drizzle with dressing and top with cheese, roasted apples and walnuts. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 191 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Folate (15% dv), Fiber (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2004