Oven-Roasted Squash with Garlic & Parsley
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Winter squash becomes tender and sweeter when roasted—a delicious side for a holiday dinner. Look for interesting squash like kabocha or hubbard at your farmers’ market and try them in this recipe. (Recipe adapted from Alice Waters.)
- 5 pounds winter squash (such as butternut, buttercup, kabocha or hubbard), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss squash with 4 teaspoons oil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender throughout and lightly browned, 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the variety of squash).
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Toss the roasted squash with the garlic and parsley. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cut squash up to 1 day ahead; store airtight in the refrigerator.
104 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 6 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 555 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2009