Roast Pork with Sweet Onion-Rhubarb Sauce
Tart rhubarb is balanced by sweet onions in this sumptuous sauce for grilled pork tenderloin. If you can't find fresh rhubarb for this, use frozen (no need to thaw it first). For dinner in a hurry, try two quick sides like whole-wheat couscous and steamed broccoli.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix 1 teaspoon oil, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture into pork. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the pork until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 15 to 17 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water; continue cooking, stirring often, until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes more, adding water a tablespoon at a time if necessary to prevent burning. Stir in rhubarb, vinegar and brown sugar and cook, stirring often, until the rhubarb has broken down, about 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 348 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (45% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient