Roast Pork with Sweet Onion-Rhubarb Sauce
Tart rhubarb is balanced by sweet onions in this sumptuous sauce for grilled pork tenderloin. If you can't find fresh rhubarb for this, use frozen (no need to thaw it first). For dinner in a hurry, try two quick sides like whole-wheat couscous and steamed broccoli.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix 1 teaspoon oil, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture into pork. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the pork until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 15 to 17 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water; continue cooking, stirring often, until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes more, adding water a tablespoon at a time if necessary to prevent burning. Stir in rhubarb, vinegar and brown sugar and cook, stirring often, until the rhubarb has broken down, about 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 348 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (45% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient