Roast Pork with Sweet Onion-Rhubarb Sauce
Tart rhubarb is balanced by sweet onions in this sumptuous sauce for roasted pork tenderloin. If you can't find fresh rhubarb for this, use frozen (no need to thaw it first). For dinner in a hurry, try two quick sides like whole-wheat couscous and steamed broccoli.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix 1 teaspoon oil, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture into pork. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the pork until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 15 to 17 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water; continue cooking, stirring often, until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes more, adding water a tablespoon at a time if necessary to prevent burning. Stir in rhubarb, vinegar and brown sugar and cook, stirring often, until the rhubarb has broken down, about 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 348 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (45% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient