Roast Leg of Lamb
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Inspired by the healthfulness and delicious simplicity of rustic Greek cooking.
- 1 4- to 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, shank portion, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Make short, deep slits all over lamb with a sharp knife and fill with garlic slices. Rub the lamb with oil and sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Roast the lamb for 1 hour. Add water to pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 135°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the lamb to a serving platter, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, skim off any fat from pan juices and pour juices into a small saucepan. Reheat gently over low heat. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve with pan juices.
Per 3-ounce serving: 143 calories; 22 g fat (9 g sat, 9 g mono); 122 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1999