Roast Leg of Lamb
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Inspired by the healthfulness and delicious simplicity of rustic Greek cooking.
- 1 4- to 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, shank portion, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Make short, deep slits all over lamb with a sharp knife and fill with garlic slices. Rub the lamb with oil and sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Roast the lamb for 1 hour. Add water to pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 135°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the lamb to a serving platter, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, skim off any fat from pan juices and pour juices into a small saucepan. Reheat gently over low heat. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve with pan juices.
Per 3-ounce serving: 143 calories; 22 g fat (9 g sat, 9 g mono); 122 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1999