Roast Leg of Lamb
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Inspired by the healthfulness and delicious simplicity of rustic Greek cooking.
- 1 4- to 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, shank portion, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Make short, deep slits all over lamb with a sharp knife and fill with garlic slices. Rub the lamb with oil and sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Roast the lamb for 1 hour. Add water to pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 135°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the lamb to a serving platter, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, skim off any fat from pan juices and pour juices into a small saucepan. Reheat gently over low heat. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve with pan juices.
Per 3-ounce serving: 143 calories; 22 g fat (9 g sat, 9 g mono); 122 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1999