Roast Leg of Lamb
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Inspired by the healthfulness and delicious simplicity of rustic Greek cooking.
- 1 4- to 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, shank portion, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Make short, deep slits all over lamb with a sharp knife and fill with garlic slices. Rub the lamb with oil and sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Roast the lamb for 1 hour. Add water to pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 135°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the lamb to a serving platter, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, skim off any fat from pan juices and pour juices into a small saucepan. Reheat gently over low heat. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve with pan juices.
Per 3-ounce serving: 143 calories; 22 g fat (9 g sat, 9 g mono); 122 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1999