Roast Chicken & Fennel
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
With Italian spices, some diced fennel and toasty pine nuts, you'll have a gorgeous supper in no time.
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and chopped (3 cups)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken drumsticks, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel and 2 teaspoons oil in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, pepper and salt together on a cutting board. Rock a chef’s knife through the ingredients until they are minced into a fine paste. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and combine with 1 teaspoon oil. Rub the paste all over drumsticks.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- After the fennel has roasted for 10 minutes, stir in pine nuts and place the browned drumsticks on top of the fennel. Return to the oven and bake until the fennel is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the pan. Toss the fennel with vinegar in the baking dish, scraping up any browned bits. Serve the fennel with the chicken.
Per serving: 402 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 5 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008