Roast Chicken & Fennel
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
With Italian spices, some diced fennel and toasty pine nuts, you'll have a gorgeous supper in no time.
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and chopped (3 cups)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken drumsticks, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel and 2 teaspoons oil in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, pepper and salt together on a cutting board. Rock a chef’s knife through the ingredients until they are minced into a fine paste. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and combine with 1 teaspoon oil. Rub the paste all over drumsticks.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- After the fennel has roasted for 10 minutes, stir in pine nuts and place the browned drumsticks on top of the fennel. Return to the oven and bake until the fennel is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the pan. Toss the fennel with vinegar in the baking dish, scraping up any browned bits. Serve the fennel with the chicken.
Per serving: 402 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 5 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008