Roast Chicken & Fennel
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
With Italian spices, some diced fennel and toasty pine nuts, you'll have a gorgeous supper in no time.
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and chopped (3 cups)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken drumsticks, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel and 2 teaspoons oil in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, pepper and salt together on a cutting board. Rock a chef’s knife through the ingredients until they are minced into a fine paste. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and combine with 1 teaspoon oil. Rub the paste all over drumsticks.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- After the fennel has roasted for 10 minutes, stir in pine nuts and place the browned drumsticks on top of the fennel. Return to the oven and bake until the fennel is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the pan. Toss the fennel with vinegar in the baking dish, scraping up any browned bits. Serve the fennel with the chicken.
Per serving: 402 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 5 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)