Roast Chicken & Fennel
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
With Italian spices, some diced fennel and toasty pine nuts, you'll have a gorgeous supper in no time.
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and chopped (3 cups)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken drumsticks, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel and 2 teaspoons oil in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, pepper and salt together on a cutting board. Rock a chef’s knife through the ingredients until they are minced into a fine paste. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and combine with 1 teaspoon oil. Rub the paste all over drumsticks.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- After the fennel has roasted for 10 minutes, stir in pine nuts and place the browned drumsticks on top of the fennel. Return to the oven and bake until the fennel is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the pan. Toss the fennel with vinegar in the baking dish, scraping up any browned bits. Serve the fennel with the chicken.
Per serving: 402 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 5 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008